Saturday, February 23, 2019

today a day off

Hello All, today was a day off for me... I did need a "cold nose" ... it is so hot weather lately, that I was ready for a high altitude, cold weather, clouds...and drizzel (bajareque)
I was up early and did go with Spot, the birding dog  to the cloud forest around the 1900 meters.
I did wear my rain jacket (Yeah!!) and my boots (yoehoeee!!!) Spot was also very happy.
As soon I was in the clouds, I did hear the resplendent Quetzales  making their calls and songs.
The whole hike I did hear them and did see them, I cannot help it, every time when it is possible to make a picture  of them ...I do it...

                                          A female Quetzal was checking out a potential
                                         "nest tree", another female was attacking her,
                                          probably she was interested in the same tree
                                          Unfortunately that was not in the picture.
                                          The male was watching the attacks .. as I did too...
                                   
                                     
                                          This Mountain Elaenia was busy to find nest
                                           material
                                          and this cute long tailed  silky Flycatcher was
                                          enjoying the wet  cold drizzel with a full stomach

Very nice was the unexpected encounter with a highland Tinamou in front of my feet. Spot and I stay silent and we were staring all to each other and very silently the Tinamou was after maybe 20 seconds, walking into the dense forest. Later I did hear the song of another Tinamou further away.

And a very nice meeting with a Wrenthrush, who was really checking us out from dense foliage, he or she was making a circle around us. I heard her/his call first and then after that I did see her/him.
Probably we were okay after that...did not hear a call anymore and later on I did hear  2 different birds singing their beautiful song.

Before lunchtime I was home after a very refreshing morning cloud forest...
                                   
                                         

                                         Spot my sweet birding dog! with a lot of patience...

Down below my list of today.
Greetings from Terry
http://coffeeadventures.net/tinamou.html

Bajo Mono, Chiriquí, PA
Feb 23, 2019 7:32 AM - 11:33 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.74 kilometer(s)
Comments:     with Spot( birding dog)..some sun , but mostly clouds and Bajareque
46 species

Highland Tinamou  2     1 seen 1 heard
Talamanca Hummingbird  1
Violet Sabrewing  2
Stripe-tailed Hummingbird  1
Resplendent Quetzal  10
Orange-bellied Trogon  2     Hi calls And song
Prong-billed Barbet  4
Northern Emerald-Toucanet  1
Hairy Woodpecker  3
Silvery-fronted Tapaculo  1     Ho
Spot-crowned Woodcreeper  2
Scaly-throated Foliage-gleaner  1
Lineated Foliage-gleaner  1
Spotted Barbtail  1
Red-faced Spinetail  1
Mountain Elaenia  3
Tufted Flycatcher  2
Yellowish Flycatcher  3
Three-wattled Bellbird  1
Rufous-browed Peppershrike  2
Yellow-winged Vireo  1
Brown-capped Vireo  3
House Wren  1
Ochraceous Wren  3
Gray-breasted Wood-Wren  5
American Dipper  3
Black-faced Solitaire  4
Slaty-backed Nightingale-Thrush  1     +song
Mountain Thrush  9
White-throated Thrush  1
Long-tailed Silky-flycatcher  2
Golden-browed Chlorophonia  3
Elegant Euphonia  2
Common Chlorospingus  4
Chestnut-capped Brushfinch  2
Rufous-collared Sparrow  2
Yellow-thighed Finch  6
Wrenthrush  2      And call  song, 1 seen 1 hear
Golden-winged Warbler  2     2 males chasing eachother
Tropical Parula  2
Wilson's Warbler  2
Slate-throated Redstart  8
Collared Redstart  3
Spangle-cheeked Tanager  3
Silver-throated Tanager  8
Yellow-faced Grassquit  2


2 comments: