Thursday, October 10, 2019

the last couple of weeks

10 October 2019

Hello everybody, we are living the peak of the wet season... only the mud where the horses (and me) are having their most steps are not fun, but this month is one of my favorites because of the activity in nature. Migration birds are coming through, some are singing and a lot of twinkling calls of Warblers in the forest, meadow, garden, coffee farm. My ears(and eyes) are constantly open .. Yesterday the first Tennessee Warbler..only one... blackburnian Warblers, black and white Warblers, scarlet Tanagers, Summer Tanagers, Wilson's Warblers, American Redstarts, Northern Waterthrush, Baltimore Orioles.. more will follow...yes and yesterday a nice Townsend's Warbler..not a lifer for me, but a new bird on our farm...
Yesterday I still did see just fledged immatures of Palm Tanagers and buff throated Saltators . 
Two days ago Hans and I checked out some wetland birds in the rice fields in David, not too much, we were early in the afternoon. Some greater (picture) and lesser Yellowlegs and bigger amounts of black necked Stilts
Did see a nice family of Savanna Hawks (immature on the left)
and always there is the great Egret:

Next to the jobs around the house and in the house(always something to do!) we did have guests.And I did have birding trips. Youngest birdwatcher ever... 4 years old:
Every day I check the birds on our farm and  a few times I did go out alone, but it is hard to leave the farm, so much is happening here.
Here some pictures that I took in the garden... every day I do see now the crimson backed Tanagers, that is since a half year a official new bird on the farm...

red legged Honeycreeper female



Another new bird...no picture yet, is the southern beardless Tyrannulet, he is now two weeks very busy on the farm, specially the meadow and forest edges. 
The meadow birds did change over the years, more and more we get birds that we never did see in the meadow before... tropical Kingbird,Panama Flycatcher, not always..but great Kiskadee regular visitor. Common tody Flycatcher...since a few years. Regular ask question is of course, do you notice changes in birds on the farm? ( climate change)
Well I can say now, yes I do , specially when I am standing in the meadow and now with the song of the southern beardless Tyrannulet I feel sometimes like I am in Caldera on the 900 meters... 

Well time to go outside... until next time...down below my fast birders lunch when I was in Caldera last week to check out some birds there on my own... never have time or patience to eat then, there is always a bird flying by...well birdwatchers know how that works 😉

Greetings from Terry



No comments:

Post a Comment