Friday, May 6, 2022

Termites flying out, birds are happy and me too!

Hello readers, yes finally a post.. planning to post another later this week 
about my highlights of the last months..
For now this video that Hans took and my story with it on youtube:
Every year in May(2 times in May) when it is a rainy ..the termites are flying out.. I call them "helicopter flies". As a birdwatcher I get even more excited because the birds love it.So a lot of birds to see in a very easy way. Most birds need this extra dinner to feed the immatures but also need the protein for themselves. This time is very stress full for them, protecting their areas against predators, other birds, laying eggs, making nests...May is busy for them. I did see this afternoon birds like red legged Honeycreepers, tropical Kingbirds, thick billed Euphonias, Elegant Euphonias, yellow bellied Elaenias, lesser Elaenias termite catching... spectaculair! The record holder is a lesser Elaenia catching in one flight 8 termites! Greetings Terry http://coffeeadventures.net/tinamou.html

No comments:

Post a Comment