Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Birds on the farm! 1 no ID yet and some other short bird stories and Quetzal/Bellbird update.

What a busy time the last 2 weeks, cottages full ...a lot of really great bird watchers. Always fun to have birdwatcher guests.
They do see a lot of nice birds on the farm.. common Potoo...and a nice tropical Screech Owl in front of their balcony, a Mottled Owl, bunch of little Tinamous...and they give me again the urge to go on our farm and check out the birds on myself.
One baby bird flew into our house...still I don't have a good ID. A friend of me said ...with a question mark.. an ochre bellied Flycatcher...I would love that , that means a new bird on the farm.A nice addition to our bird list.On a Facebook page " birds of Panama"...1 men said he was agree with that ID...still I am looking for the ochre bellied Flycatcher adult on our farm, until now no luck, they are easy to find.
He or she has dark gray legs and the wings as a paltry Tyrannulet...yellowish belly, start of a bill of a Honeycreeper...frustration...

No frustration was the common Potoo, for ever I did hear him on our farm...the only bird that I did add on my farm bird list ...only because his sound is so specific..I knew he is on our farm...and then on one morning , did go with Gaell a guest in one of the cottages... and yes we did see him! The proof...
Now he is really official on the farm bird list!

This week I have more time and then I have a cold...bummer! But last Saturday 19th of July I did go alone to my"secret" place somewhere in cloudforest(1650 M) and was sitting there with my tea and cracker on a log, enjoying myself.
I did see in 2 hours ...sun, no wind..a lot of birds, bad weather higher in the mountains. New in that area were the white tailed Emeralds...why didn't I see them before ...over there. Sometimes that is so weird. The area did not change there...
Did see great birds...
Swallow tailed Kites
great black Hawk
band tailed Pigeon
                         Chiriqui Quail Dove (very close by)
          sulphur winged Parakeets
Squirrel Cuckoo
white collared Swifts
green Hermit
white throated Mountain Gem male
green violet Ear
violet Sabrewing
white tailed Emerald
magnificent Hummingbird
scintillant Hummingbird
immature three wattled Bellbird
hairy Woodpecker
red faced Spinetail
spotted Barbtail
streak breasted Treehunter
lineated foliage gleaner
scaly throated foliage gleaner
streak headed Woodcreeper(with 2 immature)
silvery fronted Tapaculo
tufted Flycatcher
dark Pewee (with immatures)
barred Becard
gray breasted Wood Wren
slate throated Redstart
three striped Warbler
silver throated Tanager(like on our farm...a lot of immatures)
slaty Flowerpiercer
golden browed Chlorophonia

Quetzal/Bellbird update

Still in lower parts of the Boquete cloud forest are Quetzales...1600 Meters..Pipeline trail(Waterfall trail)..that is normal  for the time of the year. Guest of us did see 7 on one morning.(17th of July)
Did see one female on F Lerida area. (16th of July)
Guest did see a male Quetzal on the Quetzal trail (14th of July)

Three wattled Bellbirds are not on the Quetzal trail anymore (17th of July) . A huge group is migrating ...around finca Lerida area and Jaramillo Arriba.
I expect them to come by on our farm, like every year around these days on  and around our farm and then they go to Bocas del Toro area. Caribbean slope.Always in July.
This year the groups also on the Quetzal trail and Culebra (and another area) are getting bigger, that is good news! They are spreading out. This last season I did see a record amount of immature Bellbirds 




https://www.facebook.com/tinamoucottage?fref=ts
www.coffeeadventures.net













No comments:

Post a Comment