Thursday, February 26, 2015

A day off...checking out Peg billed Finches and slaty Finches and much more....

This morning I was next to my bed at 5am...I had a day off..why do I do that to myself... well I wanted to be alone in the cloud forest and see birds... and only be responsible for only... myself...
A beautiful start...



But I had to hike more and faster then I am use too...yes I know ...bird watching is not hiking...but I did go faster, because my goal was to see Peg billed Finches and slaty Finches...the Bamboo is seeding and I did want to see them and observe them.. so from the ranger station in Alto Chiquero(1800 meters) to the Bamboo area (2250+ Meters).

I did start at 6.30am with black Guans and flying Quetzales  and around 8.30 am I did see my first slaty Finches, male and female
, they were very noisy and energetic..the hormones are in the air..( for a lot of birds).
I enjoyed my coffee and watched these Finches...I love their songs.
But for the seeding Bamboo I needed to climb up a little bit more, and after 10 minutes I did see the first peg billed Finch:

  



I counted 3 Females and 7 males
Singing...eating...flying around.
After taking also some movies and eating a part watermelon, I did return and took more time to see other nice birds and did keep an eye on the clouds, they came in already at 10.15am... nice mixed flocks and a very big mixed group of large footed Finches and chestnut capped brush Finches

And kind of early in the season I did hear already young blue throated Toucanets "screaming" out of a nest..I did find the parent sitting there...high up in the canopy.:
My list of today...
highland Tinamou (did see one , heard a lot)
black Guan (Start and at the end of my hike..then he was walking? across the trail)
spotted Wood Quail
black Vulture
swallow tailed Kites
broad winged Hawk
short tailed Hawk
black Hawk Eagle
band tailed Pigeon
Chiriqui Quail Dove
sulphur winged Parakeets
white collared Swifts
Vaux's Swifts
purple throated Mountain Gem male
orange bellied Trogon
resplendent Quetzales (4 males)
blue throated Toucanet
hairy Woodpecker
Acorn Woodpecker
red faced Spinetails
ruddy Treerunner
streak breasted Treehunter
lineated foliage Gleaner
silvery fronted Tapaculo
Mountain Elaenia
paltry Tyrannulet
dark Pewee
yellowish Flycatcher
black Phoebe
bright rumped Attila
barred Becard male making a nest
three wattled Bellbird
yellow winged Vireo
brown capped Vireo
rufous browed Peppershrike
silvery throated Jays
gray breasted Wood Wren
ruddy capped nightingale Thrush
black faced Solitair
clay colored Thrush
Mountain Thrush
tropical Mockingbird
long tailed silky Flycatcher
flame throated Warbler
slate throated Redstart
collared Redstart
Wilson's Warber(only migrant today...?)
black cheeked Warbler
common bush Tanager
sooty capped bush Tanager
spangle cheeked Tanager
yellow faced Grassquit
slaty Finch
peg billed Finch
slaty Flowerpiercer
yellow thighed Finch
large footed Finch
chestnut capped brush Finch
rufous collared Sparrow
eastern Meadowlark
Elegant Euphonia

Beautiful day!!






1 comment:

  1. Nice account, it seems that the Peg-billed and Slaty Finches are doing very well!

    ReplyDelete